Apple introduced some “features” in iOS 6 you won’t see advertised on apple.com. By default, your iPhone and iPad with iOS 6 use Location Services to show you location-based iAds and it uses a technology called IFA, which basically assigns a unique identifier to your device with which advertisers can track you. Sound like something you don’t want? No problem, just follow these steps to disable tracking for ads in iOS 6.
- Go into Settings, then into Privacy.
- Tap on Location Services.
- Scroll all the way down and tap on System Services.
- Set Location-Based iAds to Off
- On the top level of Settings, tap on General.
- Tap on About.
- Near the bottom, tap on Advertising.
- Set Limit Ad Tracking to On (yes: On).
- Finally, go to http://oo.apple.com on your iDevice to opt out of Interest-Based iAds.
- Location Tracking on the iPhone
- Increasing Magic Mouse Tracking Speed
- iPhone Text Message Alerts
- iPhone WiFi Sync Drains Battery
- Ben Brooks on the mobile device market